88 Lincoln Mark V11 no electrical
Answer went into never never land. Beeping on start up coming from
message center. Push clock button beep stops car runs fine. No problem
don'need clock anyway. After about six months, auto climate buttons start to
flash still Ok can over ride manually. After few more months went tinto town,
no power to heater fan, still OK not cold out. Got ten tiles down road, radio
quit, a few blocks later all power went out no power to dash, starter, radio,
power locks nothing. Bob told me to clean battery and replace ground did
that before the last trip. Any one with suggestions?
I checked and my trunk was open. That's why deck coded on my dash
I don't know how much help you can get on a forum for an electrical gremlin, most require extensive troubleshooting. Make sure battery is good, battery harness is good, double-check electrical grounds, a spurious ground can cause multiple issues like yours, especially on an older vehicle that can lose grounds to corrosion. A good place to start is at interior fuse box, check grounds and for corrosion on back side.
Is there any computer components on the car that would kill all the electrical/? does ot seem like battery problem ( I tried new cables, groundclean etc) because it was running fine. The heater fan was not blowing but did not matter as it was not cold at the time, if the fan not blowing was a battery problem the car radio would not have worked for five milwes into town. Dave
No, especially since your devices lose power intermittently or randomly. You have various control modules but nothing that could shut off electrical power to everything. A total loss of power could be caused by a blown main fuse, or a blown fusible link, or a bad battery connection, or loss of ground. That however wouldn't some component to have power and some to not. I would focus on the wire harness and grounds. I'm not sure if an 88 Lincoln has a body control module or not, sometimes spurious errors with lights, dash, radios, etc., can be traced to a bad BCM or connections. Look up your Lincoln's wire diagram, Autozone's web site has em for free under their "repair guides." But heads up, you have to jump through a few hoops to get regged on their site.
For an 88 Mark VII, the first thing any new owner should do is change out the ignition switch mounted to the column underneath the cover. (NOT the key part). There was a recall on the switches and they can cause fires. Check the old switch for heat damage. Everything electrical goes through the switch. Check websites LincolnsonLine and The Lincoln Mark VII Club for tech articles.