Wind Resistance and Mileage

10

Asked by EnvisioningMoore Dec 03, 2019 at 02:26 AM about the Ford Explorer

Question type: General

I am looking, to purchase a Ford Explorer
(AWD, 3.5L Ecoboost V6) and a RV Trailer (20
foot; 3K Lb Curb, about 3.6K Lb loaded).  
The engine torque seems, to handle the
grade requirements.  I have two questions.
1. How can I include wind resistance, in the
calculations?
2. For “flat land”, can I estimate the mileage?  
Is there a rule-of-thumb?  Are there
documented towing tests?
I thank you.

3 Answers

347,875

I don't know of anyway to calculate the trailer aerodynamics and the fuel economy. I would expect around 15 mpg if you don't drive too fast.

10

I thank you. This proves, to be another area, of buyer beware. In reference, to a different manufacturer and smaller SUV, the salesman, even, asked me, if I were really going, to tow. Though the vehicle had a good tow rating, of 5K Lb, he told me that it might tow 4K Lb but only, on the flats. The manufacturers give grand ratings but withhold the reality, of operation, at the rating. Being a mechanical engineer and I designed light/heavy duty mobile equipment, it would be interesting, to test and document vehicles, at rated loads. Especially, tow vehicles. Again, I thank you, for your input.

1 people found this helpful.
347,875

If you want a serious tow vehicle do your self a favor and get a pickup such as a F150 or F250. 99% percent of salesmen do not have a clue and the other 1% are full of poop. I have never seen anyone spec fuel economy with a load. There are too many variables to get a meaningful answer. Best bet is to try vehicle specific forums to see what other owners say.

Your Answer:

Explorer

Looking for a Used Explorer in your area?

CarGurus has 1,695 nationwide Explorer listings starting at $3,900.

Postal Code:

Ford Explorer Experts

  • #1
    OJ
    Reputation
    25,400
  • #2
    TransAm77
    Reputation
    6,370
  • #3
    G A Arne
    Reputation
    5,960
View All

Find great deals from top-rated dealers

Search

Related Models For Sale

Used Ford Expedition
10 Great Deals out of 415 listings starting at $4,400
Used Ford F-150
103 Great Deals out of 7,842 listings starting at $871
Used Chevrolet Tahoe
4 Great Deals out of 518 listings starting at $2,950
Used Ford Edge
51 Great Deals out of 2,579 listings starting at $3,777
Used Jeep Grand Cherokee
57 Great Deals out of 3,653 listings starting at $1,995
Used Dodge Durango
47 Great Deals out of 1,186 listings starting at $6,495
Used Toyota Highlander
37 Great Deals out of 2,003 listings starting at $3,495
Used GMC Acadia
19 Great Deals out of 1,157 listings starting at $2,500
Used Ford Escape
146 Great Deals out of 5,502 listings starting at $1,000
Used Toyota 4Runner
9 Great Deals out of 446 listings starting at $2,560
Used Chevrolet Traverse
26 Great Deals out of 744 listings starting at $4,995
Used Honda Pilot
23 Great Deals out of 1,207 listings starting at $5,999
Used GMC Yukon
4 Great Deals out of 385 listings starting at $4,950
Used Chevrolet Silverado 1500
90 Great Deals out of 6,574 listings starting at $4,995
Used GMC Terrain
37 Great Deals out of 2,395 listings starting at $4,999

Content submitted by Users is not endorsed by CarGurus, does not express the opinions of CarGurus, and should not be considered reviewed, screened, or approved by CarGurus. Please refer to CarGurus Terms of Use. Content will be removed if CarGurus becomes aware that it violates our policies.